East London Removals: Removals Woodford
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Woodford and E18 and IG8, East London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Woodford area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Woodford.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Woodford area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
Woodford is a suburban district in the London Borough of Redbridge, north-east London on the boundary with the London Borough of Waltham Forest and comprises in postal districts E18 and IG8.
Woodford may be divided into three areas: South Woodford, Woodford Green and Woodford Bridge, which gets its name from the Saxon ford over the River Roding. There are also areas known as Woodford Wells (north of Woodford Green), Woodford Side (towards Chingford) and formerly Woodford Church End (near St. Mary’s). Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Woodford area.
The ancient parish of Woodford, also known as Woodford St Mary, formed part of the Becontree hundred of Essex. The name Woodford was first recorded in 1062 as Wudeford or Wodeforda, meaning ‘ford in or by the wood’. The ford in question traversed the River Roding, and was part of a way which ran from Abridge to London. The beginnings of Woodford can be traced to a medieval settlement which developed around the ford.
Woodford was never a single village, rather it was a collection of hamlets, and has retained to some extent its portmantueau nature. London has been central to Woodford’s development. The easy access to Epping Forest, a large forest near London where the Royals traditionally hunted has made it attractive to Londoners since the Fifteenth Century, when wealthy Londoners started to build mansions there. As a consequence, many of the recorded inhabitants would have been servants, and there is even evidence of Africans (‘negroes’) living in Woodford in the eighteenth century. In fact the domestic servants and wealthy Londoners may have quickly outnumbered the remnant of the local, original rural folk.
An example of the kind of grand house typical of pre-19th century Woodford is Hurst House, also known as ‘The Naked Beauty’, which stands on Salway Hill, now part of Woodford High Road. Its central block was completed in the early 18th century, and its side wings were added later on in the same century. It was restored in the 1930s, only to be damaged by fire a few years later. The central block was again completely restored, with the minor wings you can still see added on.
Historians have pointed out Woodford’s historic roads as evidence of its ‘residential nature’, as these roads provided reasonably easy access to Woodford, but no further on. There were two roads to Woodford, the ‘lower road’ (now Chigwell Road) and the ‘upper road’ (now Woodford New Road). The ‘lower road’ was often beset by flooding from the Roding, as it still is today, and was continually considered to be in need of repair. In fact one of the illustrious persons to be inconvenienced by the road was King James I. The ‘upper road’, being less used than the ‘lower road’ was probably in a worse condition, and the Middlesex and Essex Turnpike Trust undertook its repair and overhaul in 1721, and extended it to Whitechapel. The Trust did such a fine job it was given responsibility for the ‘lower road’ as well. In 1828, the Trust built the ‘Woodford New Road’ from Walthamstow to Woodford Wells, and was soon after connected to the newly built Epping New Road. Read more…