East London Removals: Removals Stepney
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Stepney and E1, East London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Stepney area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Stepney.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Stepney area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
Stepney is an inner-city district in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets located in postal district E1. It is located 3.6 miles (5.8 km) east north-east of Charing Cross and forms part of the East End of London. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Stepney area.
The area is a mix of post-war high density housing, Victorian mansion blocks and terraced housing that were not demolished during slum clearances. The east side of historic Stepney Green is notable for its architecture – Arbour Square and Sidney Square and the surrounding streets retain many Georgian and Victorian houses.
Stepney is roughly bounded by Commercial Road, part of the A13, in the south, Mile End Road, part of the A11, in the north and the Regent’s Canal in the east. The Western Boundary with Whitechapel is rather ambiguous.
The area has not yet experienced the levels of gentrification seen in nearby Bow, Wapping and Limehouse but some redevelopment has taken place, notably with the Roger Black scheme, Stepney City. The former Arbour Square Police Station and the East End Mission building are also being redeveloped.
In 1085 Stepney was listed in the Domesday Book survey of England which was recorded in Old French, and whose translation includes: III. The land of the Bishop of London in ‘Ossulstone’ hundred the Bishop of London holds Stepney 32 hides. There is land for 25 ploughs. To the demesne belong 14 hides, and there are 3 ploughs; and 22 ploughs among the villeins. There are 44 villans each on 1 virgate, and 7 villans each on half a hide, and 9 villeins each on half a virgate, and 46 cottars on 1 hide: they pay 30s a year. There are 4 mills rendering £4.16s less 4d, meadow for 25 ploughs, pasture for the livestock of the vill and 15s, woodland for 500 pigs and 40s. In all it is worth £48: and when received, the same: £50. This manor belonged and belongs to the bishopric.
Bishop William held this land in demesne, in the manor of Stepney, on the day on which King Edward was alive and dead. In the same vill Ranulph Flambard holds 3½ hides of the bishop.
St Dunstan’s is Stepney’s oldest church, founded in 923, but the present building dates principally from the 1400s. St Dunstan’s has a long association with the sea, being responsible for registration of British maritime births, marriages and deaths until the 19th century.
In the early 1900s, Stepney was one of the most Jewish neighbourhoods in England; it was eventually replaced by Stamford Hill. The Siege of Sidney Street took place in Stepney in 1911. Read more…