Removals St. Luke’s
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in St. Luke’s and WC1 and NW1, Central London, London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the St. Luke’s area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in St. Luke’s.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the St. Luke’s area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
About St. Luke’s
St Luke’s is an area in the London Borough of Islington in Greater London, close to the borders with the London Borough of Hackney and the City of London, near the Barbican and Shoreditch. The closest tube station is Old Street. The area includes City Road, Finsbury Square, Whitecross Street, and part of Old Street. The name is rarely used today. Allen and Young Ltd regularly carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the St Lukes area.
It is named after the parish and church of St Luke Old Street. St Luke’s was created in 1733 (with the construction of the church) as both a civil and ecclesiastical parish, from the part of the existing parish of St Giles Cripplegate outside the City of London.
Being outside the City boundaries, the parish had a large non-conformist population. John Wesley’s house and Wesleyan Chapel are in City Road, as is Bunhill Fields burial ground.
In 1751, St Luke’s Hospital for Lunatics, an asylum, was founded. Rebuilt in 1782 – 1784 by George Dance the Younger. In 1917, the site was sold to the Bank of England for St Luke’s Printing Works producing banknotes and which was relocated in 1958 to Debden in Essex. It was damaged by the Blitz of 1940.
The civil parish became officially known as “St Luke’s Middlesex”. The parish was historically in the county of Middlesex, and was included in the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works in 1855. From 1889 it was part of the County of London. The vestry administered local government in the area until the civil parish became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury in 1899. In 1965, this borough was amalgamated with the Metropolitan Borough of Islington to form the London Borough of Islington.
The eponymous parish church is now home to a concert hall and rehearsal space used by the London Symphony Orchestra. The parish has been reabsorbed by St Giles-without-Cripplegate, since the closure of the church. Read more…