South East London Removals: Removals Southwark
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Southwark and SE1, SE15, SE16, SE17, SE21 and SE22, South East London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Southwark area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Southwark.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Southwark area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
Southwark or The Borough is an area of South-East London in the London Borough of Southwark, situated 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Charing Cross and comprising the postal districts SE1, SE15, SE16, SE17, SE21 and SE22. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Southwark area. Provided the Credit Crunch does not scupper the plans, Southwark it will have the United Kingdoms tallest building in 2012, Shard London Bridge.
It has been called The Borough since the 1550s, to contrast it with the neighbouring City, in later years to distinguish it from the larger Metropolitan Borough of Southwark and now to distinguish it from the much larger London Borough of Southwark. The core area of the Borough is virtually coterminous with the Guildable Manor.
The Cathedral precinct and the Borough Market are often misleadingly described as being in Bankside and the Tooley Street area up to the St Saviour’s Dockhead is also mistakenly described as part of Bermondsey, whereas they have always been part of Borough.
Southwark is on a previously marshy area south of the River Thames. Recent excavation has revealed prehistoric activity including evidence of early ploughing, burial mounds and ritual activity. The area was originally a series of islands in the River Thames. This formed the best place to bridge the Thames and the area became an important part of Londinium owing its importance to its position as the endpoint of the Roman London Bridge. Two Roman roads, Stane Street and Watling Street, met at Southwark in what is now Borough High Street. Archaeological work at Tabard Street in 2004 discovered a plaque with the earliest reference to ‘London’ from the Roman period on it.
Londinium was abandoned at the end of the Roman occupation in the early fifth century and both the city and its bridge collapsed in decay. Archaeologically, evidence of settlement is replaced by a largely featureless soil called the Dark Earth which probably (although this is contested) represents an urban area abandoned.
Southwark appears to recover only during the time of King Alfred and his successors. Sometime in and around 886 AD the ‘burh’ of Southwark was created and the Roman City area reoccupied. Southwark was referred to as ‘Suthringa Geweorc’ in the Burghal Hidage, meaning the ‘defensive works of the men of Surrey’. It was probably fortified to defend the bridge and hence the re-emerging City of London to the north. This defensive role is highlighted by the use of the Bridge as a defence against King Swein, his son King Cnut in 1016 by Ethelred the Unready and in 1066, against King William the Conqueror. He failed to force the Bridge during the Norman conquest of England, but Southwark was devastated.
Southwark appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Sudwerc(h) and Sudwerche. It was held by several Surrey manors. Its domesday assets were: The Bishop Odo of Bayeux held the monastery and the tide-way, the St Mary Overy dock which still exists; the king owned the ‘church’ (probably St Olave’s) and its ‘tidal stream’; the dues of the ‘waterway’ or mooring place shared between the ‘king’ and Earl Godwin; the king also had the ‘toll’ of the strand; and the ‘men of Southwark’ had the right to a ‘haw and its toll’. Southwark’s value to the King was £16.
In 1838 the first railway for the London area was created, planned to run from Southwark at London Bridge station to Greenwich only.
In 1861, another Great Fire of Southwark destroyed a large number of buildings between Tooley Street and the Thames, including those around Hays Wharf, where Hays Galleria was later built, and blocks to the west almost as far as St Olave’s Church.
The first deep level London ‘tube’ underground line was ‘The City and South London Railway’, now the City Branch of the Northern Line, opened in 1890, running from King William Street through Borough to Kennington. Southwark, since 1999, is also now serviced by Southwark and London Bridge stations on the Jubilee Line. Read more…
Southwark Council – Link Required