Removals Kings Cross
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Kings Cross and WC1 and N1, Central London, London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Kings Cross area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Kings Cross.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Kings Cross area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
About Kings Cross
Kings Cross is an area of London partly in the London Borough of Camden and partly in the London Borough of Islington and is located in postal districts WC1 and N1. It is an inner-city district located 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of Charing Cross. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Kings Cross area.
The area formerly had a reputation for being a red light district and run-down. However, rapid regeneration since the mid 1990s has rendered this reputation largely out-of-date. Since November 2007 the area has been the terminus of the international rail service at St. Pancras International station where Eurostar trains now arrive and depart to and from France and Belgium. Regeneration continues under the auspices of King’s Cross Central which is a very major redevelopment in the north of the area. The area was previously a village known as Battle Bridge which was an ancient crossing of the River Fleet. The original name of the bridge was Broad Ford Bridge.
The name “Battle Bridge” led to a tradition that this was the site of a major battle between the Romans and the Iceni tribe led by Boudica. The tradition is not supported by any historical evidence and is rejected by modern historians. However Lewis Spence’s 1937 book Boadicea – warrior queen of the Britons went so far as to include a map showing the positions of the opposing armies. The suggestion that Boudica is buried beneath platform 9 or 10 at King’s Cross Station seems to have arisen as urban folklore since the end of World War Two. The area had been settled at Roman times, and a camp here, known as The Brill was erroneously attributed to Julius Caesar, who never visited Londinium. The name is commemorated in two streets lying behind King’s Cross and St Pancras stations. St Pancras Old Church, also set behind the stations, is said to be one of the oldest Christian sites in Britain.
In 1830 a monument to King George IV was built at the junction of Gray’s Inn Road, Pentonville Road, and New Road, which later became Euston Road. The monument was sixty feet high, topped by an eleven foot high statue of the king, and was described as “a ridiculous octagonal structure crowned by an absurd statue”. The upper storey was used as a camera obscura while the base in turn housed a police station and a public house. The unpopular building was demolished in 1845, though the area has kept the name of Kings Cross. Opened in 1852, King’s Cross Railway Station now stands at the junction where the cross stood.
St Pancras railway station station, owned by the Midland Railway, lies immediately to the west. They both had extensive land (“the railway lands”) to house their associated facilities for handling general goods and specialist commodities such as fish, coal, potatoes and grain. The passenger stations on Euston Road far outweighed in public attention the economically more important goods traffic to the north. King’s Cross and St Pancras stations, and indeed all London railway stations, made an important contribution to the capital’s economy.
After World War II the area declined from being a poor but busy industrial and distribution services district to a partially abandoned post-industrial district. The area has increasingly become home to cultural establishments. The London Canal Museum opened in 1992, and in 1997 a new home for the British Library opened next to St Pancras Station. There was a small theatre, the Courtyard. However this had to close in late 2006 as a result of the gentrification of the area caused by a number of regeneration projects here, in this case, Regent’s Quarter,across the boundary in Islington. The Gagosian Gallery moved their main London premises to the area in 2004. There are plans for the London Sinfonietta and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment to move into King’s Place, a development under construction next to the Regent’s Canal. Due to open in 2008, this will also become the new home of The Guardian and The Observer newspapers.
The area is expected to remain a major focus of redevelopment through the first two decades of the 21st century. The London terminus of the Eurostar international rail service moved to St Pancras station in November 2007. The station’s redevelopment led to the demolition of several buildings, including the Gasworks. Following the opening of the new high speed line to the station, a redevelopment of the land between the two major stations and the old Kings Cross goods should commence, and planning permission has been granted. To be called King’s Cross Central, this will be one of the largest construction projects in Greater London in the first quarter of the 21st century. Read more…