Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Kilburn and NW6.
Allen & Young are a North West London Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Kilburn area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Kilburn.
Kilburn is an area of north London, which is divided between three London Boroughs, London Borough of Brent, the London Borough of Camden, and small part in Westminster and is mostly situated in the postcode NW6. It also incorporates the smaller area of Brondesbury, which is now generally referred to as part of Kilburn.
The main thoroughfare running northwest-southeast is Kilburn High Road, part of the modern A5 road which forms the boundary between the boroughs of Brent and Camden. The road dates back to pre-Roman times and is part of the Roman road known as Watling Street. The town of Kilburn has its origins in a 12th-century priory on the banks of the Kilburn Brook. Kilburn today is a busy London district which used to be strongly associated with its Irish population. However, it has become very multicultural as of late. Kilburn High Road was an ancient trackway which originated as a Celtic route between the modern cities of Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved; part of this Roman road is identified on the Antonine Itinerary as Iter III: “Item a Londinio ad portum Dubris” – from London to the port of Dover. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.
Kilburn grew up on the banks of a river which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River (‘Bourne’ being an Anglo-Saxon word for ‘river’). The river is known today as the Westbourne River. From the 1850s it was piped underground and is now one of London’s many underground rivers.
The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to a priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.
Kilburn Priory was a community of Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road. Kilburn Priory’s position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans or Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today.
The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.
The fashion for taking ‘medicinal waters’ in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a ‘great room’ were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for ‘stomach ailments’.
A notable landmark in Kilburn High Road is the grade II* listed Gaumont State Cinema, which was designed by George Coles and opened in 1937. It was then the biggest auditorium in Europe, with seating for 4,004 people. Entertainers such as Gracie Fields, Larry Adler and George Formby performed at the official opening. And since then, The State has seen performances by bands including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Faces, Jethro Tull and Deep Purple. The cinema is designed in an Art Deco Italian Renaissance style, covered in cream ceramic tiles. Read more…