Removals Kentish Town
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Kentish Town and NW5.
Allen & Young are a North West London Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Kentish Town area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Kentish Town.
About Kentish Town
Kentish Town is an area of North West London, located in postal district NW5 in the London Borough of Camden. Kentish Town is first recorded during the reign of King John (1208) as kentisston. By 1456 Kentish Town was recognized as a thriving hamlet, and in this period a chapel of ease is recorded as being built for the inhabitants.
The early 19th century brought modernization, causing much of the area’s rural charm, the River Fleet and the 18th century buildings to vanish, although pockets still remain, for example Little Green Street. Between the availability of public transport to it from London, and its urbanization, it was a popular resort.
Large amounts of land were purchased to build the railway, which can still be seen today. Kentish Town was a prime site for development as the Kentish Town Road was a major route from London northwards. Probably its most famous early resident was Karl Marx who lived at 9 Grafton Terrace from 1856.
1877 saw the beginning of mission work in the area as it was then poor. The mission first held their services outside but as their funding increased they built a mission house, chapel, and vicarage. One mission house of the area was Lyndhurst Hall, which remained in community use for many years before being taken over by the Council and being run-down. The Council were looking to sell it to property developers for residential use, amid some local opposition. The Council were able to find a developer and the hall was demolished in 2006.
During the 19th and early 20th centuries the area of Kentish Town became for many years the home of many famous piano and organ manufacturers, and was described by The Piano Journal in 1901 as “…that healthful suburb dear to the heart of the piano maker”.
In 1912 the Church of St. Silas the Martyr was finally erected and consecrated, and by December of that year it became a parish in its own right. It can still be seen today along with the church of St Luke with St Paul and the Church of St. Barnabas (handed over to the Greek Orthodox Church in 1957).
Kentish Town Road contains one of London’s many disused Tube stations. South Kentish Town tube station was closed in June 1924 after strike action at the Lots Road power station meant the lift could not be used. It never reopened. The distinctive building is now occupied by a ‘Cash Converters’ pawn shop at the corner of Kentish Town Road and Castle Road although there have been proposals to rebuild the station.
Kentish Town was to see further modernization in the post-World War II period. However, the residential parts of Kentish Town, dating back to the mid 1800s have survived and are much admired architecturally. Kentish Town has always been noted for its pubs and bars, including the Bull and Gate music pub which featured early performances by Blur, Suede, PJ Harvey, Ash, Keane, The Libertines, Muse, Manic Street Preachers, and Coldplay. Kentish Town is also home to The Forum (once named the Town and Country club, a popular live music venue.
Many of the old buildings remain, albeit hidden behind the facades of modern shops or neglected, and it is still possible to get a good impression of Kentish Town’s heritage in present-day NW5. Kentish Town (by postcode) consists of Queen’s Crescent, Torriano, part of Highgate, Tufnell Park & Kentish Town High Street. Read more…