Removals Kensal Green
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Kensal Green, Kensal Rise, NW6 and NW10.
Allen & Young are a North West London Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Kensal Green area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Kensal Green.
About Kensal Green
Kensal Green is a neighbourhood in the London Borough of Brent. The area is also referred to as Kensal Rise and is located in postal district NW10 with some parts in NW6. A small area on the eastern edge of the London Borough of Brent, Kensal Green borders the boroughs of Westminster to the East, and Kensington and Chelsea to the South. Surrounding neighbourhoods include Willesden Green to the north, Harlesden to the West, Brondesbury and Queens Park to the East and Ladbroke Grove to the south.
The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used interchangeably to denote the same neighbourhood, although some do attempt to differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and train stations. Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while east of Chamberlayne Road and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.
A third area south of Harrow Road, around the area of Kensal Road is infrequently referred to as Kensal Town. Since Harrow Road is generally considered to be the southern boundary of Kensal Green, most residents class Kensal Road and its environs as part of Westbourne Park. Once again, this is in no way an official classification.
Recorded as ‘Kingisholt’ (‘The King’s Wood’) in 1253, the name Kensal Green is first mentioned in 1550. A map of 1849 shows that The Green lay immediately to the west of Flowerhills Lane (now Kilburn Lane), between what is now Regent Street and Harrow Road, with The Plough (see below) at its north-east corner.
In the Middle Ages the land in the surrounding areas was owned by the Countess of Richmond (the mother of King Henry VII) and All Souls’ College, Oxford. There was also a small manor of Chamberlayne Wood, named after Richard de Camera, an early-13th century priest who received income from the land. There were sheep farms between Kensal Green and Harlesden.
In the 18th century, along with farms and two larger houses, there was an inn called the Plough (frequented by artist George Morland). After 1814 the Green was used as a shooting range by the Cumberland Sharpshooters, a local rifle club. Another sporting activity was Willesden Steeplechases on the site of the future King Edward VII recreation ground (now Willesden Sports Centre) until the middle of the 19th century.
In the beginning of the 19th century the small hamlet of Kensal Green lived around the activities on the Grand Junction Canal. Barges with such cargoes as iron, coal, waste paper and gravel were towed through Kensal Green. A brick works was set up and the growth of the village began. In 1823, the Green was divided into plots for cottages owned by local tradesmen and inhabited by the poor.
The real growth of Kensal Green began in connection with the All Souls’ Cemetery. It was opened on 24 January 1833 to solve the problem with burial grounds in London and soon became the place to be laid to rest amongst many prominent Victorians. The construction of two railways, the London & Birmingham line to the north and the Great Western line to the south, in 1837-8 facilitated the growth of Kensal Rise which became a London suburb. Read more…