Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Hendon and NW4.
Allen & Young are a North West London Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Hendon area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Hendon.
Hendon is a London suburban development situated 7 miles (11.3 km) north west of Charing Cross, is situated in postal district NW4 and comprises several destinct areas: Church End, The Burroughs, Parson Street and Holders Hill, Hendon Central, Brent Street, The Quadrant and Sentinel Square. Hendon was historically a civil parish in the county of Middlesex. The manor is described in Domesday (1087), but the name, ‘Hendun’ meaning ‘at the highest hill’, is earlier. There is even evidence of Roman settlement discovered by the Hendon and District Archaeological Society and others; an urn burial of a headless child was found in nearby Sunny Gardens Park.
The Midland Railway and the Great Northern Railways were built through Hendon in the 1860s. There is evidence of problems of wild horses feeding between the tracks. The underground, at Golders Green arrived in 1907. Unfortunately, much of the area developed into a suburb of London and now the area is mostly town with some countryside in the Mill Hill area, such as the Copthall Playing fields. Hendon big industry was mostly centered on manufacturing, and included motor and aviation works, and developed from the 1880s. In 1931 the civil parish of Edgware was abolished and its area was added to the great civil parish of Hendon. Hendon became an urban district in 1894. In 1932 the urban district became the Municipal Borough of Hendon. The municipal borough was abolished in 1965 and the area became part of the London Borough of Barnet.
Hendon’s claim to fame is in flying and Hendon Aerodrome is now the RAF Museum. The area is closely associated with the aviator Claude Grahame-White. Another part of the Aerodrome site is the Hendon Police College, the training centre for the Metropolitan Police. It is a former borough and ancient parish. The name means the high place or down, and Hendon’s motto is Endeavour. The Burroughs is a civic centre for the London Borough of Barnet, and also the site of Middlesex University Business School.
The Domesday Survey mentions Hendon Church End, and a church building was documented in 1157. The oldest fabric of the present church is 13th century. The 50ft tower (c1450) was much restored in the 18th century when the weathercock in the form of a “Lamb and Flag”, the badge of St. John, was added. However, the church is dedicated to St. Mary, an enigma that defies local historians to this day. It may be a sign of the (heretical) cult of Mary Magdalene said to have been promoted by the Templars and their successors. Eastern extensions carried out between 1913-15 to designs by architect Temple Moore have greatly expanded the church. Sir Stamford Raffles, founder of Singapore in 1819, is buried in the church. The most important grave in the churchyard is that of Herbert Chapman, the manager of Arsenal Football Club in the 1920s and 1930s. Bram Stoker may well have had St. Mary’s graveyard in mind when he created the fictional “Kingstead”, the uneasy resting place of Lucy Westenra, in his book Dracula. However, St. Mary’s graveyard is also the resting place of a more benign spirit, Coventry Patmore’s wife Emily, the model for the poem The Angel in the House (1854), and upon whom the Victorian ideal of domesticity “the Angel of the Hearth” is based.
West of the church is the Greyhound pub which was rebuilt in 1898. Originally called the Church House, it was used for vestry meetings from the 1600s to 1878. In 1676 the inn, by then known as the Greyhound, burned down in a fire. In 1855 a fire brigade was established, renamed the Hendon volunteer fire brigade in 1866, and a manual fire engine was kept in a building near the church. Further west the Church Farmhouse Museum, opened in 1955, is run by the London Borough of Barnet. Read more…