St Albans Removals: Removals Hatfield
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Hatfield and AL9 and AL10, Hertfordshire, St Albans Postal District.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Hatfield area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Hatfield.
Hatfield, originally Bishop’s Hatfield, is in the Welwyn Hatfield district of Hertfordshire and located in the postal districts AL9 and AL10. It forms part of the Welwyn Hatfield constituency which also includes Welwyn Garden City and has been twinned with the Dutch port town of Zierikzee since 1953. It is known as the town where the first production-line jet airliner, the De Havilland Comet was built and as the site of a tragic rail crash in 2000. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Hatfield area.
Dating back to Saxon times, the village of Hatfield was first known as “Hetfelle” and then became known as “Haethfeld” when around 970 King Edgar gave 5,000 acres (20 km2) to the monastery of Ely. No records remain from this time until 1226 when Henry III granted the Bishops of Ely rights to an annual four-day fair and a weekly market. Old Hatfield retains many historic buildings notably the Old Palace, St Etheldreda’s Church and Hatfield House. The Old Palace was built by the Bishop of Ely, Cardinal Morton, in 1497 during the reign of Henry VII and the only surviving wing is still used today for Elizabethan banquets. St Etheldreda’s Church was founded by the monks from Ely and the first wooden church, built in 1285, was probably sited where the existing building stands overlooking the Old Town.
Perhaps the most famous local historical landmark is Hatfield House, seat of the Cecil family, whose history is not only closely interwoven with that of the town but also of Tudor times.
Princess Elizabeth Tudor was confined for three years in what is now known as “The Old Palace” in Hatfield Park. It was here in 1558, whilst said to be sitting under an oak tree in the Park, that she learned that she had become Queen following the death of her half-sister, Mary. Records show that within a few days the young Queen Elizabeth held her first Council in the Great Hall (The Old Palace) of Hatfield.
The opening of the de Havilland airfield and aircraft factory prior to the Second World War resulted in further rapid growth of the town and, as the place of manufacture of the Mosquito, Dove, Heron, Comet and Trident, Hatfield is indelibly linked with the history of British aviation. The de Havilland Company – later Hawker Siddeley and finally British Aerospace – became the district’s largest employer.
After the Second World War, Hatfield was designated as a “new town” under the New Towns Act 1946 (and the earlier Abercrombie Plan for London in 1944), forming part of the initial Hertfordshire group with nearby Stevenage, Welwyn Garden City and Letchworth. It retains “new town” characteristics including trees and open spaces that were outlined in the original design.