London Removals Enfield District: Removals Hadley Wood
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Hadley Wood and EN4, Enfield Postal District.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Hadley Wood area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Hadley Wood.
About Hadley Wood
Hadley Wood is a suburb of North London, close to the border with Hertfordshire. It is located in the London Borough of Enfield in postal district EN4, and is close to Barnet. In Jan 2008, it became part of the Transport for London’s low emission zone, along with the majority of the rest of Greater London. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Hadley Wood area.
Hadley, Mankin, or Monkton, Hadley, was formerly a hamlet to Edmonton. It lies NW of Enfield, and consists of 580 acres, including 240 allotted in lieu of the common enclosure of Enfield Chase. Its name is compounded of two Saxon words: Head-leagh, or a high place; Mankin is probably derived from the connection of the place with the abbey of Walden, to which it was given by Geoffrey de Mandeville, earl of Essex, under the name of the Hermitage of Hadley. The village is located on the east side of the Great North Road, 11 miles from London.
The manor belonged to the Mandevilles (the founder of the Hermitage) and was given by Geoffrey to the monks of Walden. In the ensuing 2 centuries the property underwent various transmissions (it was purchased by the Pinney family in 1791) by the present proprietor, Peter Moore. The house of David Garrow, father to the present judge of that name in the court of exchequer, is supposed to have been connected with a monastery. Chimney-pieces remain in alto relievo: on one is sculptured the story of Sampson; the other displays many passages in the life of Christ, from birth to his crucifixion.
The parish church is a handsome structure, built over different periods. The chancel bears marks of great antiquity, but the body is of brick construction. At the western end is a square tower, composed of flint, with quoins of freestone; on one side is the date 1393 AD, cut in stone—one side of the stone bearing date in the sculptured device of a wing; the other that of a rose. The figures denote the year 1494 AD; the last, like the second numerical, being the half eight, often used in ancient inscriptions. The unique vestige of the Middle Ages, namely, a firepan, or pitchpot, on the SW tower of the church, was blown down in January 1779 and carefully repaired, though now not required for the purpose of giving an alarm at the approach of enemies, by setting alight to pitch within it. The church has been supposed to have been erected by Edward IV as a chapel for religious service, in memory of those who fell in the battle of Barnet in 1471.