Removals Golders Green
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Golders Green and NW9.
Allen & Young are a North West London Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Golders Green area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Golders Green.
About Golders Green
Golders Green is an area in the London Borough of Barnet in London and is situated in postal district NW11. Although having some earlier history, it is essentially a 19th century suburban development situated about 5.3 miles (8.5 km) north west of Charing Cross and centred on the crossroads of Golders Green Road and Finchley Road. In the early 20th century it grew rapidly in response to the opening here of a station of the London Underground Railway (which at this point is above ground). It has a wide variety of housing and a busy main shopping street (Golders Green Road). The area is considered a pleasant, affluent, sought-after district with relatively expensive property, and is noted especially for its large Jewish population, although there are also a large Hindu Temple, a Greek Orthodox cathedral and a considerable Japanese community.
Golders Green has been a place in the parish and manor of Hendon since around the 13th century. The earliest references to the name of the adjacent district of “Temple Fortune” is on a map (c1754). However this name reveals a much earlier history. It is likely that the name refers to the Knights of St John, who had land here (c1240). Fortune may be derived from a small settlement (tun) on the route from Hampstead to Hendon. Here a lane from Finchley, called Ducksetters Lane (c1475), intersected. It is likely that the settlement was originally the Bleccanham estate (c900s). By the end of the 18th century Temple Fortune Farm was established on the northern side of Farm Close. The building of the Finchley Road (c1827) replaced Ducksetters Lane as a route to Finchley, and resulted in the development of a small hamlet. Hendon Park Row (c1860s) is of this period, and consisted of around thirty small dwellings built by a George Stevens, which were, with two exceptions, demolished (c1956). A small dame school and prayer house run by Anglican Deaconesses existed in the 1890s and 1900s, and developed to become St Barnabas (1915). Along the Finchley Road were a number of villas (c1830s), joined by the Royal Oak public house (c1850s). By the end of the 19th century there were around 300 people living in the area, which included a laundry and a small hospital for children with skin diseases. The principal industry was brick making.
In 1895 a Jewish Cemetery was established adjacent to Hoop Lane, with the first burial in 1897. Golders Green Crematorium was opened in 1902 (although much of it was built after 1905). A significant moment in Temple Fortune’s development into a suburban area occurred in 1907, when transport links were vastly improved by the opening of Golders Green tube station. The Carmelite Monastery was established in Bridge Lane in 1908.
Although the area had been served by horse-drawn omnibuses (since at least the 1880s) and later motor buses (from 1907), the tram line of 1910, connecting Finchley Church End with Golders Green Station, led to the development of the area west of the Finchley Road. The establishment of Hampstead Garden Suburb brought major changes to the area east of the Finchley Road. Temple Fortune Farm was demolished, and along the front of the road the building of the Arcade, and Gateway House (c1911) established the Hampstead Garden Suburb’s retail district.
Both the Golders Green Hippodrome, former home of the BBC Concert Orchestra, and the Police Station opened in 1913. St Edward the Confessor, a Roman Catholic Church, was built in 1916. The now-demolished Orpheum Theatre (1930) was intended to rival the Hippodrome in Golders Green.
Famous people connected with the area are on the whole connected to the Aida Foster School of Drama (1929–1969) Finchley Road. Former students include Barbara Windsor, Elizabeth Taylor, and Jean Simmons. There is also a very large student population in Golders Green, most notably those attending the Central School of Speech and Drama.
Originally Golders Green was part of the NW4 (Hendon) postal district, but due to expanding population the district was split in two, creating the new NW11 district. This is why it does not follow the London postal districts alphabetical pattern, starting from the second district in each area. Read more…