North London Removals: Removals Friern Barnet
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Friern Barnet, Friern Village, N10, N11 and N12.
Allen & Young are a North London based Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Friern Barnet area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Friern Barnet.
About Friern Barnet
Friern Barnet is a place in the London Borough of Barnet. It is a suburban development situated 7.4 miles (11.9 km) north of Charing Cross and is located in postal districts N10, N11 and N12. The centre of Friern Barnet is formed by the busy intersection of Colney Hatch Lane (which runs north-south), Woodhouse Road (which takes west-bound traffic into Finchley) and Friern Barnet Road (which leads east towards New Southgate). Friern Barnet was an ancient parish in the Finsbury division of Ossulstone hundred, in the county of Middlesex.
The area was originally considered to be part of Barnet, most of which was in Hertfordshire. By the thirteenth century the Middlesex section of Barnet was known as “Little Barnet”, before becoming “Frerenbarnet” and then “Friern Barnet”. The “Friern” part of the parish’s name, denotes “brotherhood”, and referred to its ownership by the Priory of the Knights of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.
Friern Barnet was mainly rural until the nineteenth century. The opening of Colney Hatch Hospital in 1851 and of railway stations on the Great Northern and Metropolitan Railways in the middle of the century began its development as an outer London suburb. This process was accelerated by the arrival of electric trams in 1909.
Local affairs were administered by the parish vestry until 1875, when it was grouped with neighboring parishes as part of Barnet Rural Sanitary District. In response to a petition by local ratepayers who wished the area to be removed from the Barnet RSD, the parish adopted the Local Government Act 1858 and formed a local board of health of nine members in 1884. Under the Local Government Act 1894 the local board’s area became an urban district. The urban district occupied an area of 1,304 acres in 1911 and had a population of 14,924. In 1961 it occupied an area of 1,342 acres and the population was 28,813. In 1965 it became part of the London Borough of Barnet.
Adjacent to Princess Park Manor is a modern housing development called Friern Village. This was once the area farmed by the Colney Hatch Hospital residents. In 1998 the newly formed local resident’s association held a ballot amongst the new residents to find a name for this new area. The name Friern Village was chosen and subsequently the resident’s association changed their name to The Friern Village Resident’s Association. A new public park in front of Princess Park Manor, Friern Barnet Road, was also named Friern Village Park. Read more…