North London Removals: Removals Edmonton
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Edmonton, Edmonton Green, Upper Edmonton, Lower Edmonton, N9 and N18.
Allen & Young are a North London based Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Edmonton area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Edmonton.
Edmonton is an area in the east of the London Borough of Enfield, with a long history as a settlement distinct from Enfield. The man-made River Lee Diversion adjoins the east of Edmonton and forms the boundaries between Enfield and Waltham Forest. Edmonton is 8.6 miles (13.8 km) north-north-east of Charing Cross and stretches from just south of the North Circular Road in the south to just past Edmonton Green in the north and from the Great Cambridge Road in the west to the River Lea in the east. The northern part of Edmonton (N9 postal district) is known as Lower Edmonton and the southern part (N18) as Upper Edmonton.
The old highway Ermine Street passed through what is today Edmonton. Ermine Street was the main Roman Road from London through Lincoln and on to York. Edmonton appears in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it is recorded as Adelmentone.
Edmonton Hundred was a division of the historic county of Middlesex from Saxon times, an area of some 31,000 acres (125km2) stretching up the west bank of the Lea from Tottenham to the county boundary south of Waltham Cross, and west into what is now Hertfordshire as far as South Mimms. Local government in the modern sense began in 1837 with the Edmonton Union, set up under the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834. This also covered a wide district of 47,102 acres (191km2), including the modern boroughs of Haringey and Enfield, plus Cheshunt, Waltham Abbey and Waltham Cross. The population of this area grew rapidly, reaching 445,875 by 1911 and would today be about 615,000. As the population mushroomed Middlesex was subdivided into many small local government areas, a much smaller Edmonton of 3894 acres (16km2) eventually achieving the status of borough (main article Municipal Borough of Edmonton) in 1937. This was absorbed into the London Borough of Enfield in 1965, and the former Town Hall and civic buildings were controversially demolished by Enfield Council in 1989.
Pymmes Park with its historic walled garden is Upper Edmonton’s park. In the late 16th century it was owned by the powerful Cecil family. In 1589 Robert Cecil, later the 1st Earl of Salisbury, spent his honeymoon at Pymmes. The estate was eventually acquired by Edmonton Council and opened as a public park in 1906. Pymmes House was destroyed by fire during World War II and the remains were demolished. Robert Cecil was a protégé of Francis Walsingham, Elizabeth Ist’s chief spymaster and he succeeded him as Secretary of State in 1590.
In the 17th century the then rural Edmonton had a reputation for supernatural activities. In approximately 1600, a play entitled ‘The Merry Devil of Edmonton’ was performed in London about a wizard who lived there.
In 1621 the villagers accused an old woman, Elizabeth Sawyer, of witchcraft and she was subsequently executed at Tyburn; her story was told in a pamphlet by Henry Goodcole, and in a 1621 play entitled ‘The Witch of Edmonton’. Read more…