West London Removals: Removals Ealing Town
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Ealing Town and W5, W7 and W13, West London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in North West London and we regularly move clients to and from the Ealing Town area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Ealing Town.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Ealing Town area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
About Ealing Town
Ealing is a town in the London Borough of Ealing. It is a suburban development situated 7.7 miles (12.4 km) west of Charing Cross and comprises the postal districts W5, W7 and W13. It is one of the major metropolitan centres identified in the London Plan and is often referred to as the “Queen of the Suburbs”. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Ealing area.
The Saxon name for Ealing was recorded c.700 as ‘Gillingas’, meaning ‘place of the people associated with Gilla’, from the personal name Gilla and the Old English suffix ‘-ingas’, meaning ‘people of’. Over the centuries, the name has changed, and has been known as Yealing, Zelling and Eling, until Ealing became the standard spelling in the 19th century.
Archaeological evidence shows that parts of Ealing have been occupied for at least 7,000 years. Iron Age pots have been discovered in the vicinity on Horsenden Hill. A settlement is recorded here in the 12th century amid a great forest that carpeted the area to the west of London. The earliest surviving English census is that for Ealing in 1599. This list was a tally of all 85 households in Ealing village giving the names of the inhabitants, together with their ages, relationships and occupations. It survives in manuscript form in the Public Record Office (PRO E 163/24/35), and has been transcribed and printed by K J Allison.
Settlements were scattered throughout the parish. Many of them were along what is now called St. Mary’s Road, near to the church in the centre of the parish. There were also houses at Little Ealing, Ealing Dean, Haven Green, Drayton Green and Castlebar Hill.
The Church of St. Mary’s, the parish church, dates back to the early twelfth century. The parish of Ealing was divided into manors, such as those of Gunnersbury and Pitshanger. These were farmed; the crops being mostly wheat, but also barley and rye. There were also animals such as cows, sheep and chickens.
Great Ealing School was founded in 1698 by the Church of St Mary’s. This subsequently became the “finest private school in England” and had many famous pupils in the 19th century such as William S. Gilbert and Cardinal Newman. As the area became built-up, it declined and closed in 1908. The first known maps of Ealing were made in the 18th century.
With the exception of driving animals into London on foot, the transport of heavy goods tended to be restricted to those times, when the unpaved roads were passable due to dry weather. However, with the passing of the Toll Road Act, this highway was graveled and so the old Oxford Road became an increasingly busy and important thoroughfare running from east to west through the centre of the parish. This road was later to be known as the Uxbridge Road. The well-to-do of London began to see Ealing as a place to escape from the smoke and smells. In 1800 the architect John Soane bought Payton Place and renamed it Pitzhanger Manor, but not to live but just for somewhere green and pleasant, where he could entertain his friends and guests. Soon after (1801) the Duke of Kent bought a house a Castlebar. Soon, more well healed Londoners followed but with the intention of taking up permanent residence which was conveniently close to London. A one time prime minister, Sir Spencer Percival made his home at Elm House. Up until that point, Ealing was mostly made up of open countryside and fields where, as in previous centuries, the main occupation was farming. Read more…