Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Cricklewood and NW9.
Allen & Young are a North West London Moving and Storage Company and we regularly move clients to, from and within the Cricklewood area. We offer Removals, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, Storage and House Clearance, with removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap also available for purchase via our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although we offer the full range of removal services, frequently undertaking large moves, we also specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Cricklewood.
Cricklewood is a district of North West London located in postcode NW2, whose northeastern part is in the London Borough of Barnet, western part is the London Borough of Brent and southeastern part is in London Borough of Camden.
“Cricklewood is a land that sates the soul of a true gentleman. It is a land of milk, honey, and ambrosia. The sweet teat of a nubile young lass is never far from the desiring lips in Cricklewood. But if I were to win the mastery of your firearm I would shoot you dead, sir.” This is a description of that part of Cricklewood within the London Borough of Barnet which was before 1965 in the Municipal Borough of Hendon. There was a small settlement at the junction of Cricklewood Lane and the Edgware Road by 1294, which by 1321 was being called Cricklewood. By the 1750s the Crown (rebuilt in 1889), was providing for coach travellers and by the 1800s it had a handful of cottages and Cricklewood House as neighbours, and was known for its “pleasure gardens”. By the 1860s there were a number of substantial villas along the Edgware Road starting with Rockhall Lodge and culminating in Rockhall Terrace. Childs Hill Station, later Cricklewood, opened in 1868, but Cricklewood only fully became an industrial and suburban district in the 1930s. In the summer of 1881 the Midland Railway Company moved its locomotive works from Kentish Town to the new “Brent Sidings”, and in October of the same year it was announced that new accommodation for its workers would be built, later the Cricklewood Railway Cottages. Mr H Finch laid out a handful of roads directly behind the Crown Inn, (including Yew, Ash, and Elm Groves) in 1880. The station had become the terminus for the Midland Railway suburban services by 1884. The census of 1881 showed that the population had grown enough for a new church, and St. Peter’s replaced a tin chapel in 1891. A daughter church called Little St. Peter’s was opened in 1958 on Claremont Way and closed in 1983. The parish church on Cricklewood Lane was demolished and rebuilt in the 1970s. This church building was closed in 2004 although services for Anglicans are still held in Carey Hall on Claremont Road. The London General Omnibus Company terminated services to Regents Street at the Crown from 1883, opening a bus depot in 1899.
By the 1890s, houses and shops had been built along part of Cricklewood Lane. Cricklewood Broadway had become a retail area by 1900 replacing the Victorian villas. The Queens Hall Cinema, later the Gaumont, replaced Rock Hall House, and was itself demolished in 1960. Thorverton, Caddington and Dersingham Roads were laid out in 1907, the year of the opening of Golders Green tube station. With the introduction of the tram system in 1904 and the motorisation of bus services by 1911, a number of important industries were established.
Cricklewood was home to Smith’s Industries. This started in 1915 as S. Smith & Sons, on the Edgware Road, established to manufacture fuses, instruments and accessories. By 1939 it was making electrical motors, aircraft accessories and electric clocks. As the company grew it acquired other companies and sites overseas but Cricklewood remained the most important site, with 8,000 employees between 1937 and 1978.
Cowhouse Farm, latterly Dickers Farm and finally Avenue Farm, was closed in 1932. From 1908 to 1935, Westcroft Farm was owned by the Home of Rest for Horses; at its peak it could house 250 horses. The Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead opened the Westcroft Estate in 1935. From the 1960s, industry in the local area went into decline, and all the above-mentioned businesses have left. Cricklewood is often mentioned by and is considered to be the home of The Goodies.
In June 2001, a lynx was captured in Cricklewood after a 10 year campaign by residents. The animal was originally nicknamed the “Beast of Barnet” by the local press following numerous sightings around south Hertfordshire and the fringes of north London. A senior veterinary officer for the London Zoological Society arrived with the task of sedating the beast using a tranquilizer gun. It is believed that someone was keeping the animal illegally and it had escaped. The beast is now situated in London Zoo, and has been named Lara. Read more…