London Removals Watford District: Removals Bushey
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Bushey and WD23, Watford Postal District, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Bushey area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Bushey.
Bushey (population 24,000) is a town in the Hertsmere borough of Hertfordshire in the East of England, located in postal district WD23. Bushey Heath is situated to the south east of Bushey on the boundary with the London Borough of Harrow.
The 1st written record of Bushey is an account in the Domesday Book, which describes a small agricultural village named ‘Bissei’, which later became ‘Biss(h)e’, and then ‘Bisheye’ during the twelfth century). But chance archaeological findings of Stone Age tools provide evidence that the area was inhabited as far back as the Palaeolithic period. The town also has links to the Roman occupation of Britain, with the main road running through it being Roman; sites of possible Roman buildings being unearthed in the area; and a Roman tessellated pavement was discovered near Chiltern Ave. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Bushey area.
The origin of the town’s name is not fully known. With the original name ‘Bissei’, an early theory in Rev. J.B. Johnstone’s book The Place-Names of England and Wales states that it may have meant ‘Byssa’s Isle’, and that it started life as a lake-village surrounded by marshes, streams and lakes. However, a more modern theory (albeit a less romantic one) is that it is simply derived from the Old English word bysce and Old French boisseie, meaning a ‘place covered with wood’. The latter theory could prove more apt, as the town is located on the border of the Chiltern Valleys, which were once covered in dense forests of oak, elm, ash, hazel and juniper.
Bushey Heath’s story begins in the Napoleonic War during a large food shortage. To help solve the problem, the government awarded the waste land to the east of Bushey to Bushey landowners to be used as farming; this land was more generally referred to as Bushey Common. It is doubtful that any of it was actually used to produce food due to the poor, clayey soil conditions, but being 500ft above sea level and having broad, magnificent views was to give birth to the attractive neighbourhood that is known today.
The 19th and 20th Centuries marked the time of most change in Bushey, especially between 1860 and 1960. The population rose 28 fold within 200 years, from 856 in 1801, to just under 24 thousand today. This expansion was due to many reasons, one of the main ones being due to the boom in industry caused by the railway in the early 20th century. A result of this was that much employment was created in and around Watford in the early 1920s, when Bushey’s first council houses were built. More housing was later built for the service families working in defence organisations in Stanmore and Northwood. The expansion eventually died down, due to much of the land in and around Bushey being protected under the green belt after the Second World War.