Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Bloomsbury and WC1, Central London, London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Bloomsbury area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Bloomsbury.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Bloomsbury area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
Bloomsbury is an area of central London in the south of the London Borough of Camden, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area and located in postal district WC1. It is notable for its array of gardened squares, its literary connections (exemplified by the Bloomsbury Group), and its numerous hospitals and academic institutions. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Bloomsbury area.
While Bloomsbury was not the first area of London to acquire a formal square, Southampton Square (now named Bloomsbury Square), which was laid out by Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton in 1660, was the first square to actually be named as such.
Bloomsbury is home to the British Museum, the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, the British Medical Association, the University of London’s Senate House Library and its colleges (University College London, Birkbeck, Institute of Education, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, School of Pharmacy, School of Oriental and African Studies and the Royal Veterinary College).
Notable hospitals include Great Ormond Street Hospital, the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, University College Hospital and the Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital. Bloomsbury was formerly home to the British Library, housed within the British Museum; the Library moved in 1997 to larger premises at a nearby location next to St Pancras railway station in Somers Town.
The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and “wood for 100 pigs”. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land. The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi – the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called “Lomesbury” which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.
At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond’s manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural. In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, King Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.
In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what was eventually to become Bloomsbury Square. However the area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners like Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square as its centre piece.
Bloomsbury has no official boundaries, but can be roughly defined as the square bounded by Tottenham Court Road to the west, Euston Road to the north, Gray’s Inn Road to the east, and either High Holborn or the thoroughfare formed by New Oxford Street, Bloomsbury Way and Theobald’s Road to the south. Bloomsbury merges gradually with Holborn in the south, and with St Pancras in the north-east and Clerkenwell in the south-east.
The area is bisected north to south by the main Southampton Row-Woburn Place thoroughfare, which contains several large tourist hotels and links Tavistock Square and Russell Square – the central points of Bloomsbury. The road runs from Euston and Somers Town in the north to Holborn in the south. Torrington Place is close to University College London and has a pub called the Marlborough Arms which has a wooden man propped by the window on the 1st floor to welcome drinkers.
To the east of the busy Southampton Row-Woburn Place main road Bloomsbury is mainly residential. This half contains the Brunswick shopping centre and cinema, and Coram’s Fields recreation area. The area to the north of Coram’s Fields consists of tenements and is generally considered part of St Pancras or King’s Cross rather than north-eastern Bloomsbury. The area to the south is slightly less residential, containing several hospitals, including Great Ormond Street, and gradually becomes more commercial in character as it approaches the boundary with Holborn at Theobald’s Road.
The west of Woburn Place-Southampton Row is notable for its concentration of academic establishments, museums, teaching hospitals and formal squares. It is this side that contains the British Museum and the University of London. The most prominent road is Gower Street which is a one way road running south from Euston Road towards Shaftesbury Avenue in Covent Garden, becoming Bloomsbury Street when it passes to the west of the British Museum. Read more…