East London Removals: Removals Bethnal Green
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Bethnal Green and E2, East London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Bethnal Green area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Bethnal Green.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Bethnal Green area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
About Bethnal Green
Bethnal Green is an area in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, in the East End of London. Bethnal Green is located 3.3 miles (5.3 km) north east of Charing Cross and is located in postal district E2. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Bethnal Green area.
Bethnal Green forms a part of Tower Hamlets, centred around the Central Line tube station at the junction of Bethnal Green Road, Roman Road and Cambridge Heath Road. The district was originally a part of the Parish of Stepney, but formed a separate parish in the 19th century, as the population increased. This parish bordered the London Borough of Hackney in the north and west (at Shoreditch), and Mile End in the east. To the south is Whitechapel.
The district is associated with the E2 postal district, but this also covers parts of Shoreditch, Haggerston and Cambridge Heath. Between 1986 and 1992, the name Bethnal Green was applied to one of seven neighbourhoods, to whom power was devolved from the council. This resulted in replacement of much of the street signage in the area, that remains in place. This included parts of both Cambridge Heath and Whitechapel – north of the Whitechapel Road – being more associated with the post code and administrative simplicity, than the historic districts.
The place-name Blithehale or Blythenhale, the earliest form of Bethnal Green, is derived from the Anglo-Saxon healh (‘angle, nook, or corner’) and blithe (‘happy, blithe’), or from a personal name Blitha. Nearby Cambridge Heath (Camprichesheth), is unconnected with Cambridge and may also derive from an Anglo-Saxon personal name. The area was once marshland and forest which, as Bishopswood, lingered in the east until the 16th century. A settlement’s dependence upon water suggests that the ‘happy corner’ was cleared next to the natural spring, St. Winifred’s well, in Conduit field at the northern end of the Green. Over time, the name became Bethan Hall Green which because of local pronunciation as Beth’n ‘all Green and by the 19th Century had become Bethnal Green.
A Tudor ballad, the Blind Beggar of Bethnal Green tells the story of an ostensibly poor man who gave a surprisingly generous dowry for his daughter’s wedding. The tale furnishes the parish of Bethnal Green’s coat of arms. According to one version of the legend, found in Percy’s Reliques of Ancient English Poetry, published in 1765, the beggar was said to be Henry, the son of Simon de Montfort, but Percy himself declared that this version was not genuine. The Blind Beggar public house in Whitechapel, is reputed to be the site of his begging.
Boxing has a long association with Bethnal Green. Daniel Mendoza, who was champion of England from 1792 to 1795, though born in Aldgate, lived in Paradise Row, on the West side of Bethnal Green, for 30 years. Since then numerous boxers have been associated with the area, and the local leisure centre, York Hall, remains notable for presentation of boxing bouts. Read more…