West London Removals: Removals Bedford Park
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Bedford Park and W4, West London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in North West London and we regularly move clients to and from the Bedford Park area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Bedford Park.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Bedford Park area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
About Bedford Park
Bedford Park is a suburban development of London and is located in postal district W4. It forms a conservation area that is mostly within the London Borough of Ealing, with a small part to the east within the London Borough of Hounslow. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Bedford Park area.
It can be justly described as the world’s first garden suburb. Although it was not built in the cooperative manner like some later developments (Brentham Garden Suburb, Hampstead Garden Suburb) it created a model that was emulated not just by the Garden city movement, but suburban developments around the world. Sir John Betjeman described Bedford Park “the most significant suburb built in the last century, probably in the western world”. Herman Muthesius, the celebrated German critic who wrote The English House in 1904 said “It signifies neither more nor less than the starting point of the smaller modern house, which spread from there over the whole country.”
The developer was Jonathan Carr who in 1875 bought 24 acres of land just north of Turnham Green Station in West London which had been constructed six years earlier. The City of London was only 30 minutes by steam train and the site was blessed with many fine trees. The desire to protect the mature trees led to the informal plan that is major feature of Bedford Park. The first architect for the estate was Edward William Godwin a leading member of the Aesthetic Movement, but his plans came in for some criticism in The Builder, the leading professional journal of its day, and Godwin and Carr parted company. Some designs were commissioned from the firm of Coe and Robinson, but in 1877 Carr hired Richard Norman Shaw the leading architect of his day to be the Estate architect. By then the layout of the Park had been set but Shaw’s house designs, in the Queen Anne style, proved remarkably successful in creating an impression of great variety whilst employing a limited number of house types.
In the 1880s with its church, parish hall, club, stores, pub and school of art, living in Bedford Park was the height of fashion. W. B. Yeats, the actor William Terriss, the actress Florence Farr, the playwright Arthur Wing Pinero and the painter Camille Pissarro lived here. So fashionable did it become that Bedford Park came in for some gently ribbing in the St James’s Gazette in the Ballad of Bedford Park:
As the 20th century drew on the place became less a centre of fashion; the houses were multi occupied and bus conductors called out “Poverty Park” when they stopped on the Bath Road. The demolition by Acton Council of The Bramptons and its replacement by a five storey old people’s home led directly to the foundation in 1963 of the Bedford Park Society. Through the activities of the society, in 1967 the government listed the greater part of the estate, a total of 356 houses. A few years later both Ealing and Hounslow councils designated Bedford Park a conservation area. Since that time the area has gradually improved. Houses have returned to family use and many have been renovated. Read more…