West London Removals: Removals Bayswater
Removals, Storage, Man and Van Hire and House Clearance in Bayswater and W2, West London.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in North West London and we regularly move clients to and from the Bayswater area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Bayswater.
If you need a remover, a man and van, some storage, packing or house clearance in the Bayswater area, simply call or email Allen and Young today.
Bayswater is an area of west London in the City of Westminster. It is a built-up district located 3 miles (4.8 km) west north-west of Charing Cross and borders the north of Hyde Park over Kensington Gardens and is situated in postal district W2. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Bayswater area.
Bayswater is one of London’s most cosmopolitan areas, with the significant diversity of the local population added to by having one of London’s highest concentration of hotels. Notably, there is a significant Arab population towards Edgware Road, a large number of Americans, a substantial Greek community attracted by London’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral, the area is also a centre of London’s Brazilian community and a substantial local population.
Architecturally, the biggest part of the area is made up of Georgian stucco terraces and garden squares, mostly, although not exclusively, divided up into flats. The property ranges from very expensive apartments to small studio flats. There are also purpose built apartment blocks dating from the inter-war period as well as more recent developments, and a large Council Estate, the 650 flat Hallfield Estate, designed by Sir Denys Lasdun. Queensway and Westbourne Grove are now busy High Streets, with a large number of ethnic restaurants.
The land now called Bayswater belonged to the Abbey of Westminster when the Domesday Book was compiled; the most considerable tenant under the abbot was Bainiardus, probably the same Norman associate of the Conqueror who gave his name to Baynard’s Castle. The descent of the land held by him cannot be clearly traced: but his name long remained attached to part of it; and, as late as the year 1653, a parliamentary grant of the Abbey or Chapter lands describes “the common field at Paddington” as being “near a place commonly called Baynard’s Watering.” In 1720, the lands of the Dean and Chapter are described to be the occupation of Alexander Bond, of Bear’s Watering, in the same parish of Paddington. It may therefore fairly be concluded that this portion of ground, always remarkable for its springs of excellent water, once supplied water to Baynard, his household, or his cattle; that the memory of his name was preserved in the neighbourhood for six centuries; and that his watering-place now takes the abbreviated name Bayswater.
Whiteleys was London’s first department store, located in the Bayswater area of London, England. The store’s main entrance was located on Queensway. It is now a shopping centre. The original Whiteleys department store was created by William Whiteley, who started a drapery shop at 31 Westbourne Grove in 1863. By 1867 it had expanded to a row of shops containing 17 separate departments. By 1890 over 6,000 staff were employed in the business.
The first store, described as ‘an immense symposium of the arts and industries of the nation and of the world’, was devastated in an enormous fire in 1897, one of the largest fires in London’s history.
The current building was designed by John Belcher and John James Joass, and was opened by the Lord Mayor of London in 1911. It was the height of luxury at the time, including both a theatre and a golf-course on the roof. It appears in a number of early 20th-century novels, and in Shaw’s 1913 play Pygmalion, where Eliza Dolittle is sent “to Whiteleys to be attired.” Whiteleys finally closed as a department store in 1981. Read more…