London Removals Enfield District: Removals Arkley
Removals, Storage, Man and Van, Office Moves and House Clearance in Arkley and E18 and IG8, Enfield Postal District.
Allen & Young are a Moving and Storage Company based in London and we regularly move clients to and from the Arkley area. We offer Removals, Storage, Packing Services, Man and Van Hire, House Clearance and Removal packaging such as boxes, tape and bubble wrap can also be purchased though our site. We also provide a full range of Business Services such as office moves, light haulage, furniture delivery and assembly. Although offer the full range of removal services and frequently undertake large moves, we specialise in light and medium sized removals, perfect for apartments, flats, studios, bedsits, houses and moving offices. In addition we offer some specialist removal services such as comprehensive relocations for senior citizens planning to move into residential care homes, nursing homes or sheltered accommodation in Arkley.
The village of Arkley is in the London Borough of Barnet in postal district EN5, and is located 10.6 miles NNW of Charing Cross. At 482 feet above sea level it is one of London’s highest points.
It consists of a long village strung out in between Barnet and Stirling Corner roughly centred around the “Gate” pub and is composed of the ancient hamlets of Barnet Gate, Rowley Green and Arkley hamlet. It is also home to one of the oldest windmills in southern England. Allen and Young Ltd carry out all moving services including removals, man and van, storage, packing and house clearance in the Arkley area.
It is considered by some that Hendon Wood Lane was originally a minor Roman road. Certainly the name, ‘Grendel’s Gate’ (now Barnet Gate, and formally known as ‘Grims Gate’), is associated with the monster from the Saxon epic, Beowulf. This implies that the place was of modest importance as early as 1005. It may have been a centre of a small but significant community, founded on a woodland economy.
The district is latter referred to in medieval documents as ‘Southhaw’, and may have pre-dated the settlement at Chipping Barnet. Certainly, Barnet manorial court was held here in the 13th century. Nobody is sure what the ‘Ark’, part of Arkley means but the ‘ley’ means a “clearing of some sort”. Its earliest appearance is about 1330. By the 16th century, these woods had been cleared, and the subsequent clearing formed common.
From at least the early 19th century until the 1890s, Arkley was generally known as ‘Barnet Common’ or ‘West Barnet’. The establishment of the civil parish of 830 acres (3.4 km²) in 1894 confused matters further, as it was defined by the rural area around ‘Barnet Town’, and included places as far east as Duck Island and Underhill. It is from the civil parish, and the later ward of Barnet Urban District (from 1905) that we have our population statistics for Arkley. Between 1901 and 1971, Arkley’s rose from 483 to 16,832.
Key buildings in the area include St Peter’s Church, designed by George Beckett. Built in 1840 at a cost of £5,000, it contains the monument of its benefactor, Enoch Durant (died 1848), and a bell cast by Thomas Mears. St Peter’s can be found opposite the War Memorial on Barnet Road in Arkley.